Role of PTL
- Assistance with the timber engineering conceptual design
- Advice on the optimisation of the Pres-Lam structural system into the design
- Assistance with numerical modelling of the structure
- Advice regarding placement of sensors for monitoring building performance
- Client: Newton Properties
- Size: 2 Storeys | 6700 m2
- Opened: April 2014
- Architect: Opus Architecture
- Engineer: Opus International Consultants
- Timber supplier and fabricators: Carter Holt Harvey | TimberLab Solutions
- Construction: City Care Construction
Providing an innovative timber engineering solution for an innovative company was the motivation for the choice of Pres-Lam and PTL’s services for the new Trimble Offices in Christchurch. The first Pres-Lam building to combine the use of frames and walls the new Trimble offices structure is also currently the largest Pres-Lam building in the world.
High strength connections were also required which have been provided through the use of timber rivets and screws. This use of next-generation timber engineering fasteners creates a strong and stiff low profile connection which fits perfectly into the building’s architecture.
Continuing the spirit of innovation PTL’s seismic design expertise was also used in the planning and placement of a building monitoring system installed in the structure. Combining Trimble Navigation’s sensor systems, Pres-Lam timber engineering innovation and PTL’s expertise has resulted in one of the most high technology and resilient buildings in New Zealand.
Below is a selection of the awards given to this structure:
- IStructE Structural Awards – Commercial or Retail Structures – Commendation